Fremantle Media North America is hosting a hackathon to reimagine the TV show website.
Fremantle is a global content company that creates, produces and distributes some of the best-known and most-loved content in the world across traditional TV and digital platforms. Our shows include America’s Got Talent, American Idol, The Price is Right, Family Feud, Let's Make a Deal and upcoming scripted series American Gods – among many others.
We also run our own network, called BUZZR and run live, travelling versions of our popular game shows such as The Price Is Right Live and Let's Make a Deal Live.
We are welcoming developers and designers to build a website experience for TV fans using code from Wordpress.org and our API partners. The new site will be for FremantleMedia North America, a separate site from the current FremantleMedia site. Developers can either build a whole site, or if they are building a custom Wordpress plug-in then they should build enough of a site on which to demonstrate how the plug-in works.
We’ll provide the basics you need: corporate style guide, fonts, logos, videos, stills/images, show descriptions, show event information, show social links, etc. You provide ways to take the Fremantle site beyond the basic information. Some goals we are trying to achieve include:
- Awareness of shows: View air schedules, discover new shows, find episode and contestant news, see upcoming event and tour information, and learn how to be on the shows.
- Viewer Engagement: Make the shows come alive for site visitors! Create ways for viewers to play along with the show, vote on outcomes, take quizzes, discover related content, find out crazy trivia, see red carpet photos - whatever you can think up!
- Social Media: Help viewers use social media tools and services to creatively interact with Fremantle's shows and share their excitement with friends and followers.
THE API PARTNERS
We’ve assembled some of the best technology companies in entertainment to help you with your mission.
Getty Images RESTful API suite provides direct access to Getty Images global content, rich metadata, and powerful search technologies for integration directly into publishing tools, products, and services. Documentation, sample code, SDKS and free signup makes it easy for developers to get up and running quickly. Sign up for a test key http://developers.gettyimages.com
Studio System by Gracenote
OnConnect APIs provide the entertainment data and images you need to build rich interfaces, with simple connections between TV, movie, and celebrity information. These RESTful Web APIs give you access to TV schedules, movie showtimes, online video links, plot summaries, cast and crew info, keyword search, images, celebrity info, and much more!
MediaHound’s platform, The Entertainment Graph®, connects all music, books, games, movies, and TV in a first-of-its-kind Neo4j graph database to power universal search, real-time recommendations, and personalized discovery across a range of partner products. The Entertainment Graph®, includes the people, social activity, genres, moods, and other traits that put content in context for consumers. Our API delivers smart search, great data, and easy-to-integrate discovery features to developers who want to build next generation entertainment experiences that truly engage users.
Telescope’s CONNECT LIVE helps clients to deploy fan and audience engagement mechanics that power play-along interactivity and live events, while aggregating and filtering rich user generated content to amplify marketing messages. From video engagement products to social fan campaigns, and digital activation to live fan play along experiences – our real time participation platform offers a variety of unique audience engagement solutions to our clients.
9am Breakfast and sign-in
9:30am Welcome from Fremantle, Tech Partner API presentations
10:30am Hacking begins
10:00pm End Day 1 of hacking
9am Breakfast and hacking
4-6pm Team Presentations and winner announcements
Food and snacks will be provided throughout both days.
$14,500 in prizes
Three-month consulting contract with Fremantle Media to fully build out your idea for the Fremantle site. Up to $10,000 cash value.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
The Hackathon IS open to:
- Individuals who are at least 18 years of age as of the time of entry;
- Individuals who are a legal U.S. citizen or a permanent U.S. resident, and able to present on request a valid form of government issued photo ID, such as passport, driver’s license, or other identification; and
- Individuals who are not under an exclusive or limited contract, agreement and/or other similar arrangement prohibiting participation in an activity such as the Hackathon.
Individuals may also form a team of up to three (3) people per team.
Current FMNA employees may participate in the Hackathon.
(Individuals and teams collectively, “Maker”)
The Hackathon IS NOT open to:
- Any individual who is under exclusive contract with an organization or entity that would prohibit Maker from licensing results and services of the Hackathon to FMNA;
- Any Maker employed by or who acts as a vendor, agent, and/or other similar function for a direct competitor of FMNA (including, without limitation, content production companies mainly focused on television and digital platforms, including the following entities: Core, Endemol, Mark Burnett / MGM, Talpa, BunimMurray, All3Media, ITV Studios, Sony Pictures TV, Vin Di Bona Productions, A.Smith & Co, Zodiak-Banijay, Lionsgate and Dick Clark Productions, Inc., BBC Worldwide, Fullscreen, Legendary Television and/or Legendary Digital, other similarly situated entities);
- Any other individual or organization whose participation in the Hackathon would create, in the sole discretion of FMNA, a real or apparent conflict of interest.
Submissions must be created on-site at the Fremantle Media Hackathon and be directly related to the objectives set forth in the description.
Submissions must be complete by April 24, 4pm. Teams will present their submission to the judges at the hackathon.
How to enter
Register on Eventbrite by April 22, 9pm.
Developers may form teams up to 3, but all developers must register individually. Hackathon is limited to 80 total developers.
Co-CEO, FremantleMedia North America
Co-CEO, FremantleMedia North America
SVP Communications and Marketing, FremantleMedia North America
Executive Director, IT, FremantleMedia North America
Executive Producer, The Price Is Right & Let's Make a Deal
How creative and unique is your product? Does is make the Fremantle site more fun and engaging for viewers of the shows?
How well is it designed in terms of usability?
Extent to which the build works as intended and is coded to execute well on Wordpress.